Over the Auckland Anniversary long weekend I decided to try an old recipe of my dad’s. He was an awesome baker and taught me everything I know today. I baked an apple and blackberry pie. Was a tad nervous how it was going to turn out, as my dad never kept recipes for anything and since he as past away I can’t call him up anymore to get help :O so from the memory banks the following recipe comes – worked a treat and the pie was gone within minutes of serving it to everyone!
Very simple and fast to prepare, this is what you will need:
4 cups fresh/frozen blackberries
1/2 cup chopped apple flesh
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup white sugar
Puff pastry (store brought or as I prefer homemade)
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup white sugar
How to put it together:
- Get the oven preheated to 220C (or 425F) a moderate heat
- Combine about 3 and a 1/2 cups of the berries with the flour and sugar. Mix until all the flour has been soaked into the berries and there is nearly any flour to been seen.
- Then pop the mixture into your pie dish, which you have already placed the pastry into earlier. I find that if I roll my pastry out a little beforehand and pop it into the fridge to cool the juice from the berries doesn’t make the bottom soggy.
- Place the remaining berries and chopped apple on top of the berry/flour/sugar mixture.
- Cover with the pastry top, fold and crimp the edges. I use a everyday fork, make sure you cut some stream vents into the top. I do 3 sets of 2 vents along the centre of the pie.
- Brush 2 tablespoons of milk into the top and sprinkle 1/4 cup of white sugar on and place into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Once 15 minutes has past, the crust should be nice and crisp. Reduce the temperature to 190C (375F) for about another 20 to 25 minutes. The top should be golden brown and the berries bubbly and smelly delish!
- Place on a rack to cool and serve warm with plain ice cream and slightly whipped cream 🙂
Within minutes the pie was gone and my family had full bellies while sitting in front of the box Saturday evening.
Now I decided again to change it a little on Thursdays from doing reviews. I’m now going to do a sort of Throw Back Thursday. Hence the first post is a recipe of my dads that I haven’t baked in over 20 something years when I was a kid – WAY back then. Hope you enjoyed the post and let me know if you try the recipe and how it goes – post some pics so we can all see 🙂