So, you may or may not be aware – but I am a keen bird watcher. Oddly enough I have a fear of one type of bird and an obsession with another. OK OK, since we are talking about me – the odd part really isn’t that odd, say for example to any other person other than say …me.
So, back to the post at hand. Which bird do I love you are asking? Well, I just LOVE flamingos – there isn’t one thing that I don’t LOVE about them; HECK they are even considered a 70’s icon! Come on who hasn’t wanted a big pink plastic flamingo to stick in their front lawn!!! Basically, what I am saying is, that what is there not to love about the flamingo. Just in case you’re not sold yet on how loveable the flamingo is, here are 10 reasons why I think they are…
- They are unusual looking and I like the unusual
- They like to stand on one leg (again unusual) and researchers can not fully explain why they do this
- They come in so many colours – dont like pink – HEY they come in purple as well
- Put two flamingos together and at the right moment they are making a love heart!
- Their babies are cute fluffy grey and short – then grow into something of beauty
- Their name means ‘flame coloured’ – come on that’s cool in its self!
- The flamingo that is well fed is more colourful (meaning he gets the girl) so for once no skinny birds allowed- fat chicks ROCK!
- In ancient times – the flamingo was considered as the living representation of the sun God Ra – HEY – I love the SUN!
- They are super social animals and prefer to flock together in groups of thousands – again I am super social LOL
- Lastly – I really REALLY like them!
On the other hand, I have a real fear for pelican’s. Nope, I haven’t had any incident with pelicans in the past. It’s just something about them that I dislike.
- For starters – they have beady little nasty eyes – their eyes are flat and soulless
- Again with their eyes – their eyes never stop staring at you. No matter where you are standing its like they are looking at you
- I just cant get over the size of their bills – come on if you can fit another bird whole in your mouth (see picture above) – there has to be trust issues there!
- They defy gravity – nothing that big should be able to fly – yes that one you would think would be something I would like BUT…
- Their size isn’t all that it is meant to be – they are not heavy – their size is all about air – so they can float without effort – see again very shady (much like their staring eyes)
- Their name is derived from the word ‘pelekys’ which means axe like – *wide eyes* HELLO birds and axes don’t go together – not unless it is to do with thanksgiving dinner!
- Did I mention they have scary starry eyes – yes I did
- WELL, I just dont like the overall look of them LOL
In general, pelican’s freak me out a little – like I said, it is for no reason at all. It is just that when I look into their eyes *brrrrrr* a cold chill goes over me like someone has walked over my (yet to be) grave or something! I am just really freaked out by them. All I can say, is just as well pelican’s are not so common in New Zealand – ok neither are flamingos. But remember, we have only recently moved back to New Zealand from Australia- and in Australia pelicans are everywhere on the coast!
So, to end may your days be filled with sun, beautiful colours and not birds that like to stare you down…